Whereas the United States plays a significant role in enabling the Israeli occupation of Palestine and the expansion of illegal settlements and the Wall in violation of international law, as well as in supporting the systematic discrimination against Palestinians, which has had documented devastating impact on the overall well-being, the exercise of political and human rights, the freedom of movement, and the educational opportunities of Palestinians;There is certainly a level of American oppression implicitly on the Palestinian people, but to call the situation anything but exceptionally complex wouldn't do justice to the areas plight. ASA called its endorsement justified for the following reasons:
- US military and other support for Israel;
- Israel's systematic violation of international laws and UN resolutions;
- the harsh impact of its longstanding occupation;
- "the extent to which Israeli institutions of higher education are a party to state policies that violate human rights," and
- strong ASA member support.